Friday, February 15, 2013

A Letter to my Daughter on her Birthday...

My dear, sweet Madelyn Grace,

One year ago today you came screaming into this big world of ours.  Your father and I had prepared the best we could for your arrival.  We decorated your room, bought you so many soft cuddly blankets, and carved a spot for you not only in our home but in our hearts.  But those more experienced parents that came before us warned that you can never really be prepared for a baby.  And they were right.  We waited to name you until we saw your sweet face, and you were without a doubt our Maddie Grace.  We knew you from the moment we laid eyes on you.  One year ago I held you while you slept, undoubtedly tired from your exhausting entrance into this great big world.  And as I rocked you to sleep tonight on your first birthday tears filled my eyes, they were tears of pure joy, for my sweet girl you are our world and you make us so very happy.  Your daddy and I laughed when you woke us up in the middle of your first night with very loud and very unladylike gas.  I remember it made my incision hurt we were giggling so hard.  Every day since has been filled with laughter and joy.  Sure, some days have a little more smiles and laughs than others, but you have such a joyous little spirit and you make us smile every. single. day.  You make us smile and laugh even on the hardest days, the ones where the tears come quickly and we feel like we are drowning, you brighten our hearts. 
Little one, we love you more than you could ever possibly know.  I’m not sure I have the words to convey that love to you.  I hope you feel it, even when I’m frustrated and you’re frustrated and neither of us are getting what we want.  I hope you feel it even though I make you do things like Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy and especially Speech Therapy when you would much rather play and flirt with your therapists.  I hope you feel it when I rock you to sleep.  Those are my favorite moments, when you are just tired enough to be super cuddly, but not yet tired enough to give up the fight.  You usually reach for my face and I kiss your hand and you giggle.  Every single time, you giggle.  I hope you feel it when we have deep belly laughs when I’m “eating” your toes (which you find most hilarious).

Your personality has blossomed over the last few months, you’re the only one who claps when I sing, you also laugh at me when I wear my hair curly, and you are very, very determined to not wear a bow.  We are fighting that one out – sweet girl, bows just look too cute in your hair, so I’m just not ready to give in on that one.


Oh my precious child, the world is your oyster, and I want you to experience everything this big world has to offer.  I want you to know that you have the most amazing “entourage” to support you on your journey.  The day you were born there were so many people camped out to see your sweet face there weren’t enough chairs in the waiting room.  Now, this is the hard part – I want you to know that not all days are going to be filled with rainbows and sunshine (although if I could I would make them all perfect for you).  But know when those dark clouds and thunderstorms set in, your daddy and I are right there by your side.  We will weather any storm this world throws at us.  On hard days, we will be your rocks, we love you unconditionally and without fail we will be by your side.  Sometimes, my perfect angel, this world can be cruel.  My prayer is that your father and I instill in you confidence, patience, and kindness so that when it is cruel you can handle it.

I can’t wait to watch you grow.  I love watching you learn new things, I love watching your face when you discover new things.  A few weeks ago you discovered Ellie’s water bowl.  You were so excited and that joy was contagious.  I probably should have stopped you, but I took a picture instead.  You were beyond pleased with yourself.  These are the moments that make being your mama wonderful.  They more than make up for the times you wake up screaming at midnight (like you did last night you little stinker!).    

Baby, (and yes you will always be my baby) I love you to the moon and back.
Love,
Mama


1 comment:

  1. So sweet....precious granddaughter I love you to the moon and back too. You are truly amazing, beautiful, smart and loving. I will be right there too loving you every day! You have the best mommy and daddy. We are all blessed by you. Love grandma June

    ReplyDelete