Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Limitations - What I've Learned so Far

Since Maddie Grace's birth I've been very aware that she will face certain challenges. She will likely walk later than average, she will likely speak later than average, her cognitive ability will likely be delayed. All of that can be really scary and overwhelming to a new mother. It's overwhelming to me. I find myself sometimes analyzing her every move. I often think is that normal behavior or is it related to her diagnosis? One thing I'm working on, and I have a feeling it will be an ongoing process, is seeing past Maddie Grace's diagnosis. After all it's what I ask of others so at the very least it's something I need to be practicing myself. I think it's a delicate balance, being aware of where she needs to be in her gross motor, fine motor, and social skills and not allowing myself to become consumed with making sure she's on target. We are going to be starting early intervention soon, but I find myself panicking because we haven't started already.



I want the world for Maddie Grace but she is constantly reminding me that everything is going to be ok. Like on Friday night, we were practicing tummy time on our new mat for the hardwood floors.  Maddie Grace has been incredibly strong since birth. She is constantly kicking her feet and moving her arms. She is able to get her hips and legs in the air, but looses her balance before she is able to flip over. So I've been supporting her hips with one finger to encourage her to roll over from her belly to her back and to help her build her muscles. Well Maddie Grace was getting extremely frustrated being on her belly and was determined to get out of that position.  I wasn't touching her at all, in fact, I was talking to Adam, and all of a sudden she flipped over onto her back all by herself! Adam and I were amazed! We cheered like she had just finished running a marathon.  Her Aunt Tashia even reassured me when I mentioned it was probably a fluke that "it takes muscle strength, control, and determination" to roll over. (She has since rolled over two more times). She already amazes me at every turn!


I refuse to set limitations for Maddie Grace; I know she's an individual and will never cease to amaze me when it comes to her development. I'm just going to have to keep reminding myself to look past her diagnosis and stop analyzing her every movement. I know that with time the Down syndrome diagnosis will fade into the background of our lives. Until that time I'll cut myself a little slack and rejoice in the everyday achievements.

3 comments:

  1. Praise God....Maddie Grace is right on tract! She is AMAZING....what she has just says that, what she has but NOT what definds her in any way! I have been more than amazed at how fast she is doing things I see in those pictures and videos! NO flukes for our sweet Maddie she is truely a miracle baby! she will far go past what might be the norm for a DS baby! I pray everyday for her, you and Adam. I know there are fears and a lot of things to have to do that may not be something every new parent has to deal with....but she is right on tract and ahead as far as I can see on everything! GOD has the perfect plan for this sweet little girl named Madelyn Grace Garrett! I am so excited about the journey! I am so happy God has given me the joy of being her Grandma JUNE....xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you said, I will pray that you and Adam are able to put aside the diagnosis and enjoy your special gift. You said the word LIKELY several times, she has already surpassed all the odds aganist her. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take one day at a time, which is hard to do, don't stress about the future because it will stress you! Her diagnosis doesn't matter, she will probably surpass what the doctors, etc say she will do.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete